Staircases are often sadly overlooked in the home; ignored in favour of other, more conventionally ‘stylish’ areas, such as the kitchen and the living room. All too often, they’re seen as a functional object rather than a thing of beauty; a mere passage to the upper levels of the house, rather than a focal point in their own right.
Seeing your stairs in a whole new light: Creative staircase ideas
If you think your stairs can’t be stylish, then think again. With just a few carefully chosen stair parts, you can transform your stairs into an eye-catching, attention-grabbing feature for your home.
Here are a few insider’s secrets on how to create a visually-striking and elegant staircase for your house.
Top tips to create a dramatic, yet stylish staircase
- Get some statement spindles: Spindles, or, to use layman’s terms, don’t have to be boring. Think outside the box to create a real impact on your staircase. Paint them in a contrasting colour to your bannister (black and white works very well), or invest in a futuristic set of glass or metal spindles to give you staircase a more contemporary feel.
- Create air and space with glass balustrades: Glass is a fabulous material to incorporate into a staircase. Not only is it visually arresting, but it creates a wonderful sense of weightlessness and air in the home. Rather than having spindles in your staircase, invest in some glass balustrades instead. Combine with a high-shine aluminium bannister for a sleek, modernist finish, or use with traditional wood for a beautiful blend of old and new.
- Paint your stairs: If you have bare floorboards on your stairs, consider creating a real focal point by painting them. Pale blues and greys create a natural, nautical feel, whereas vibrant terracotta and red colours are reminiscent of exotic, far-flung lands.
- Invest in an eye-catching stair runner: If you’d rather not commit to painting, then a stair-runner is an equally effective way of providing a splash of colour for your staircase. Bold stripes can create a very elegant effect, or if you’re after a more muted look, a block colour against polished wooden stairs provides a classic finish.
- Incorporate clever storage into your stairs: If space is at a premium in your home, you can make your stairs work twice as hard for you, by providing storage in addition to a route upstairs. Maximise on under-stair storage with shelving or cupboards, or even incorporate drawers into the stairs themselves!
Looking for creative staircase ideas? Talk to Pear Stairs today!
If you’re looking for imaginative staircase ideas to give your home a new lease of life, contact Pear Stairs today. Our experienced design team will work with you to create the stairs you’ve always dreamed of, and provide you with a staircase that perfectly reflects your individual taste.